JOB TITLE: Analyst/Senior Analyst
STATUS: Exempt, 40 hours per week
LOCATION: Madison WI or Tucson AZ
REPORTS TO: Eileen Hannigan, Principal in Madison, WI
WORKS UNDER: General Direction
The Analyst will conduct thoughtful and rigorous research and analysis to support client deliverables. By actively considering clients’ research questions, the Analyst will tell the story with analysis to convey information thoughtfully and meaningfully. The Analyst will apply sound and appropriate methods to data collection and analysis while maintaining a critical eye to ensure data integrity. The analyst will identify findings and relationships in data to inform program messaging, processes, behaviors, and improvement opportunities.
The Analyst/Senior Analyst is responsible for:
- Data collection including survey instrument development, and in-depth interviewing, secondary research.
- Data quality including reviewing data for accuracy, errors, and completeness, reviewing programmed surveys for accuracy and completeness, and ensuring accuracy of all reported results.
- Data management including organizing and managing data sets using Excel and statistical software.
- Data analysis including analyzing survey and other data and performing advanced modeling (senior-level)using statistical software.
- Ability to “tell the story” of research data to effectively interpret and convey the key take-aways of various research activities in a way that is actionable and relatable to a general, less technical audience. This includes the ability to contribute to high quality reports, graphics, and presentations on findings.
- Clear written and verbal communication to the project manager while driving work forward independently. Communications include: frequent project updates, weekly priorities, identification of items that need deeper discussion, etc.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study such as statistics, mathematics, sociology, economics, environmental science, psychology, or policy
Master’s of Arts or Science in relevant area of study such as statistics, mathematics, sociology (or other applied social science fields), economics, environmental science, psychology, or policy
- 4 to 6 years of interdisciplinary research experience utilizing qualitative and quantitative research techniques (knowledge of which may be gained through academic and/or practical work experience)
- Experience in data analysis and interpretation
- Survey data analysis skills demonstrated by prior experience with data organization, quality control, manipulation and basic statistics (Stata, R, SPSS, SAS, or other statistical software)
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating clarity and conciseness
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Excel, intermediate experience with Microsoft Word and PPT
- A clear history of working on multiple tasks/ projects within established timelines
- Tireless attention to detail in all prior experience (academic and professional)
- A history of successful, creative problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize effectively in the face of multiple and shifting priorities, with the ability to switch between complex analytical thinking and attending to mundane tasks without compromising quality or losing one’s focus
- Demonstrated independent decision-making experience with solid judgment
- Presentation skills
- Prior consulting-type experience working autonomously and driving one’s own success
- Industry experience in utilities, policy, energy efficiency, and/or energy program design and planning
- A history of self-education on issues outside the immediate scope of prior work
- Experience in survey design for telephone, mail, and internet
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience implementing best practices sample design and sample selection (Senior Analyst)
- Experience with multiple regression, multi-level models, and or other advanced modeling techniques(Senior Analyst)
PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN TO CANDIDATES WHO DEMONSTRATE:
- Optimism (ILLUME has a zero tolerance for cynicism)
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Proactive communication and escalation (i.e., the ability to state clearly, concisely and promptly any concerns with data quality, results, and timelines)
- The ability to anticipate realistic timelines (without over- or under-estimating); to set one’s own project timelines; and to maintain 100% accountability for working within established timelines, i.e., self-directed
- The ability to collaborate as part of a team, as well as to work independently in quasi-remote settings
- Strong self-management with a team perspective in management time
- Grit (watch this video)
At ILLUME, you can expect to be an important part of building an expanding consultancy that delivers on our core vision. If you’re the kind of person who enjoys working with data and people, and maintaining commitment to personal growth, you’ll be in good company at ILLUME.
The Analyst will work in an office setting the majority of the time. This position requires sitting (or standing) for long periods of time at a computer; and communicating by telephone and email. Dress code at ILLUME is business casual (“pulled together”). This position requires travel occasionally.
CULTURE AND COMMITMENT AT ILLUME:
ILLUME invests in its staff as a long-term and mutual investment. At ILLUME, we’re committed to building a valued business and rewarding careers while also maintaining healthy personal lives.
Benefits include healthcare, 401k with a 3% contribution, paid holidays and an average of 4 weeks of vacation/personal time per year. As we grow, so will our comprehensive benefits package as a reward to our team for your commitment to ILLUME.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing samples/report samples from past work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the subject line of your email, indicate the following:
Last name_First name_ Analyst
Expect that we will carefully review all of your materials. In your cover letter, give us a sense of who you are by being honest, creative, and “yourself”. Please include your desired location (Madison WI or Tucson AZ) and the ending salary in your two most recent paid positions.
ILLUME will accept applications until the position is filled.
ILLUME does not discriminate in its employment practices with regard to age, ancestry, arrest record, color, conviction record, creed, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, military obligations, national origin, race, sex, or sexual orientation.