JOB TITLE: Consultant / Senior Consultant
STATUS: Exempt, 40 hours per week
LOCATION: Madison, WI; Tucson, AZ; San Diego, CA; Washington, DC
*Remote candidates will be considered and will be required to travel to hub offices occasionally.
CULTURE AND COMMITMENT AT ILLUME
Our Vision: ILLUME is the premier consultancy for advancing, re-envisioning, and equitably transforming the energy industry. We align with clean energy and social justice imperatives and give primacy to human dreams and aspirations so that all can thrive in a clean energy future.
Our Commitment to Team Values: At ILLUME, we value the diverse lived experiences of our team. We view diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) as an on-going commitment and investment in the growth of our employees, the growth of our company culture, and the growth of our industry. By centering environmental justice, climate change mitigation, and social justice in our work, we aim to transform the way the energy industry looks at its challenges. We believe that our collective well-being depends on how well we explore, elevate, and communicate the experiences of all people who use the electric grid. We quantify the impacts of our public investments to reduce energy demand and mitigate climate change.
ILLUME considers our investment in our team as a long-term and mutual investment. At ILLUME, we’re committed to building a valued business while ensuring rewarding careers to our employees. ILLUME does not discriminate in its employment practices with regard to age, ancestry, arrest record, color, conviction record, creed, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, military obligations, national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation.
The Consultant/Senior Consultant applies advanced expertise in research and analysis to contribute to and implement research and evaluation projects using methodologies such as surveys, statistical modeling, ethnography, and other qualitative and quantitative research methods. The Consultant/Senior Consultant collaborates with ILLUME’s project management and analytical teams to successfully deliver rigorous analysis and expert consulting services to our clients. Consultants/Senior Consultants enjoy hands-on involvement in the “work” of all phases of research and analysis as well as guiding less experienced staff. Consultants/Senior Consultants have expertise in one or more research methodologies and industry experience in utilities, policy, energy efficiency, market research analytics, and/or energy program design and planning.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & KEY RESULTS AREAS (KRAs)
Below we show the range of KRAs for the Consultant/Senior Consultant position. Generally, the Consultant will meet one of the following conditions: 1) advanced expertise across several, but not necessarily all, technical competencies; or 2) deeper and more focused expertise in fewer technical competencies. Compared with a Consultant, a Senior Consultant will have deeper and/or broader technical expertise along with higher levels across all competencies including personal, interpersonal, and business areas.
Project-Level Analysis & Reporting
- Conduct analyses across tasks to serve the larger objectives and client goals of the project.
- Effectively interpret and convey the key takeaways of research activities in a way that is actionable and relatable to a general, less technical audience.
- Develop or oversee the development of all deliverables to ILLUME’s high quality standards.
- Ensure copies of all final deliverable are properly archived.
Task-Specific Management & Execution
- Develop study instruments and data collection approaches for project tasks. This may include, but is not limited to, in-depth interviews, focus groups, immersions, observation, survey, billing and meter data.
- Execute task-specific research end-to-end with limited direction for routinely delivered tasks.
- Develop methodological depth and competency to effectively design research studies.
- Review data for accuracy, errors, and completeness, ensuring accuracy of all results.
- Ensure effective and sound reporting of all research activities under your execution or management.
- Provide Project Manager updates on resource needs to complete task.
- Attend to the budget and hours allocated to specific tasks, requesting allocations for yourself and your task team from the project manager and manage to those hours, proactively communicating if you have concerns over the allocations and budget (too high or too low).
- Keep to task-level timelines, communicating to the project manager ASAP when issues arise that will interfere with delivering the work on time.
Project Management Support
- Under direction of project leadership, lead end-to-end management of small, discrete projects for clients.
- Under direction of project leadership, lead and manage components of larger projects, such as program-specific evaluation efforts. Management tasks may include the following activities:
- Develop detailed task implementation plans including timelines with research tasks outlined, key deliverables identified, reviewers identified, and dependencies.
- Update project plans to adjust for changes in timing, deliverables and/or budget.
- Track and ensure the execution of all day-to-day tasks needed to complete the project efforts under your management.
- Input and keep updated budget.
- Keep project leadership regularly updated on project and task needs, task status, and of any roadblocks to successfully delivering on time and on budget.
- Maintain timely communication with supporting analysts and team members to ensure work moves forward.
- Actively identify and communicate coaching and support needs for technical content.
Business Development Support
- Occasionally support in the development of components of proposals, such as background research.
- Share and support in the development of project marketing opportunities with the business development team (conference presentations, webinar topics, podcast, magazine articles, blogs, etc.).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Collaboration is the minimum standard at ILLUME. Team members build trust through regular, open, and honest communication and by working together across the company to ensure the success of every project. By working together, we create the momentum to accomplish our company objectives and together attain exceptional results.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study such as statistics, mathematics, engineering, building science, sociology (or other applied social science fields), economics, environmental science, psychology, or policy.
- Fluency in Spanish is preferred
- At least two to six years of experience in utilities, policy, energy efficiency, market research, consulting, and/or energy program design and planning
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating clarity and conciseness
- Ability to develop research methods and study designs and lead staff in executing against those designs
- Proficiency in one or more of the following content areas: qualitative research methods such as ethnography or focus groups; survey research methods; data science and statistical modeling; engineering analysis; impact evaluation; billing analysis
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize effectively in the face of multiple and shifting priorities, with the ability to switch between complex analytical thinking and attending to routine tasks without compromising quality or losing one’s focus
- Experience with R, Python, SPSS, SQL or other statistical or programming languages
- Intermediate to advanced expertise with Microsoft Excel, Word and PPT
- Tireless attention to detail
- Demonstrated independent decision-making experience with solid judgment
- Presentation skills
ILLUME employees work in a hybrid work environment and we continuously monitor public health guidelines to make any updates necessary to ensure the health and safety of all employees. This position requires sitting (or standing) for long periods of time at a computer; and communicating by telephone and email. Dress code at ILLUME is business casual (“pulled together”). This position requires some travel.
BACKGROUND SCREENING AND DRUG TESTING
Many clients of ILLUME Advising require individuals who will be working with confidential information, visiting client customer homes or businesses, or meet another contractually required circumstance to pass a background screen and/or drug test. In the event you are assigned to work on a contract with client ordered screening requirements you will be required to complete the client’s required screening before working on the project with appropriate notice. The results of background screening and drug testing are used solely to meet client criteria for working on specific projects.
As a federal contractor, ILLUME requires staff to have been vaccinated against COVID-19, or must be willing to receive a vaccine against COVID-19 within 45 days of hire where permitted by applicable law. This is a mandatory requirement except for employees with documented medical reasons and/or exceptions in accordance with the Civil Rights Act.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing samples/report samples from past work to email@example.com.
In the subject line of your email, indicate the following:
Last name First name_ Consultant OR Senior Consultant
In your cover letter, provide us with:
- A sense of who you are by being honest, creative, and “yourself”
- Any experience with DEI in the workplace, and your own professional growth
- Please include your desired location (Madison, WI, Tucson, AZ, San Diego, CA, or Washington, DC), or indicate if you wish to work elsewhere and how you will ensure collaboration and availability to your colleagues in a remote environment.
Expect that we will carefully review all materials, including your cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
ILLUME will accept applications until the position is filled.