Job Title: Contracts and Procurement Manager
STATUS: Exempt, 40 hours per week
LOCATION: Madison, WI; or Remote (Chicago, IL; etc.)
*Remote candidates will be considered. Remote positions will be required to travel to offices occasionally.
Under the general direction of the Vice President of Finance, the Contracts Manager is directly responsible for the implementation and compliance with all requirements of structuring, bidding, and processing of legally binding contractual documents which establish business relationships between ILLUME Advising LLC and partners, subcontractors, and vendors. The Contracts Manager manages and negotiates high-value, complex agreements and is responsible for ensuring partners and vendors are in compliance with contract terms and agreements. This position is being funded through a specific contract with a 3-year term that begins in 2023 with options for additional 1-year renewals.
The Contracts Manager ensures that all contracting activities are performed in compliance with applicable laws including the State of Wisconsin consulting with our legal team as necessary. The Contracts Manager develops contracting procedures for contracts and agreements and independently determines whether submitted documents conform to legal and policy requirements and meet quality standards. The Contracts Manager drafts and issues complex contracts with support from our legal team. They provide assistance in the interpretation of contract language which may include consultation with our legal team and guidance from company executives. The Contract Manager’s ability to diplomatically and effectively communicate and exercise sound judgment is inherent to the overall success of ILLUME.
Primary Responsibilities & Key Results Areas (KRAs)
Below we show the key result areas (KRAs) for the Contracts and Procurement position.
Lead and Support Procurement
- Manage and coordinate bidding processes. Supports the team in the analysis of bids and implementation of the award of contracts. Manage and oversee the resolution of contract-related disputes including bid protests, bid irregularities, subcontractor substitutions, hearings, etc.
- Manage the development, implementation, and maintenance of the electronic bidding system, digital document filing, and retention processes. Oversees the implementation and maintenance of the DocuSign processes and procedures.
- Supports in the development of responses to requests for proposals specifically focused on contractual and other administrative requirements that may be needed to successfully deliver on the work or for the purposes of submitting the proposal.
- Collaborate with internal partners as well as legal staff to structure and refine contracts. Ensure contracts are developed and provided in compliance with all policies and procedures including internal and client-driven procedures and guidelines.
- Review and redline contracts on behalf of ILLUME making sure to do so with ILLUME’s strategic interests in mind and support ILLUME in negotiations for our subcontracts with other parties (clients, partners, etc.).
- Analyze contracts to ensure compliance with all applicable laws, rules, client requirements, regulations, and policies. Advises management of contractual rights and obligations and provides interpretations of terms and conditions.
- Review agreements and contracts and ensure compliance and adherence to all applicable laws, rules, regulations, guidelines, and policies prior to execution.
- Identify the need and take responsibility for coordination with the company legal team on contractual matters as needed.
- Ensure ILLUME staff and contractors are in compliance with all contracts including any direct or trickle-down requirements related to background screening, drug testing, data security, or other client requirements.
- Manage tracking and reporting required by contractors to be in compliance with client monthly reporting needs. This will include compiling and providing monthly status reports (pipeline, savings, participants, etc.) and accruals – written, in person, or on Zoom/Teams remote meetings – from contractors as required by individual client contracts.
- Completing QA/QC on all contractor-provided data, identifying issues, and then working with the project team to address and resolve any issues.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Collaboration is the minimum standard at ILLUME. Team members build trust through regular, open, and honest communication and by working together across the company to ensure the success of every project and activity. By working together, we create the momentum to accomplish our company objectives and together attain exceptional results.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience in relevant areas such as or another applicable field.
- Experience with and understanding of contracting principles, practices, methods, and procedures along with the ability to analyze complex agreements and contract documents to ensure conformance with guidelines.
- Knowledge, in all aspects of contract administration, including the ability to effectively interpret and implement requirements, relevant rules, guidelines, policies, procedures, and practices.
- Skills to research, interpret and apply rules, regulations, and policies in a manner befitting company values.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills; advanced listening and political acumen skills.
- Excellent organizational skills sufficient to handle multiple assignments with the ability to take initiative and independently prioritize, plan, organize, coordinate, and perform work in various situations where numerous, competing demands are involved while maintaining a strong commitment to quality standards, attention to detail, and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize assignments and independently organize work, demonstrated initiative, and follow through to meet deadlines with minimal or no direction with a high degree of individual initiative and problem-solving abilities with an emphasis on quality, quantity, and timeliness of work.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, recognize the information of a critical nature or matters of significance, and utilize a high level of discretion when handling sensitive situations.
- Ability to work with broad and diverse constituencies including small businesses with little to no contracting experience to large investor-owned utilities using advanced customer service skills.
- Experience in the utility sector, utility contracting, or procurement.
- Contract manager certification, such as the Institute for Public Procurement (NIGP) Certified Procurement Professional designation (NIGP-CPP), or the National Contract Management Association (NCMA) Certified Professional Contract Manager (CPCM), or similar.
- Paralegal degree/certificate.
- Experience with contract lifecycle management (CLM) software.
- Experience liaising with contracted law firm attorneys.
- Five years of relevant experience.
Please email email@example.com with the following materials:
- A cover letter
In the subject line of your email, indicate the following:
Last name_First name_ Contracts and Procurement Manager
In your cover letter, provide us with:
- A sense of who you are by being honest, creative, and “yourself”
- Any experience with DEI in the workplace, and your own professional growth
- Please include your desired location (e.g., Madison, WI or Chicago, IL), or indicate if you wish to work elsewhere and how you will ensure collaboration and availability to your colleagues in a remote environment.
Expect that we will carefully review all materials, including your cover letter.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
ILLUME will accept applications until the position is filled.
CULTURE AND COMMITMENT AT ILLUME
Our Vision: ILLUME is the premier consultancy for advancing, re-envisioning, and equitably transforming the energy industry. We align with clean energy and social justice imperatives and give primacy to human dreams and aspirations so that all can thrive in a clean energy future.
Our Commitment to Team Values: At ILLUME, we value the diverse lived experiences of our team. We view diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) as an ongoing commitment and investment in the growth of our employees, the growth of our company culture, and the growth of our industry. By centering environmental justice, climate change mitigation, and social justice in our work, we aim to transform the way the energy industry looks at its challenges. We believe that our collective well-being depends on how well we explore, elevate, and communicate the experiences of all people who use the electric grid. We quantify the impacts of our public investments to reduce energy demand and mitigate climate change.
ILLUME considers our investment in our team as a long-term and mutual investment. At ILLUME, we’re committed to building a valued business while ensuring rewarding careers for our employees. ILLUME does not discriminate in its employment practices with regard to age, ancestry, religion, arrest record, color, conviction record, creed, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, military obligations, national origin, race, sex, or sexual orientation.
Collaboration is the minimum standard at ILLUME. Team members build trust through regular, open, and honest communication and by working together across the company to ensure the success of every project. By working together, we create the momentum to accomplish our company objectives and together attain exceptional results.
LLUME employees work in a hybrid work environment and we continuously monitor public health guidelines to make any updates necessary to ensure the health and safety of all employees.
This position requires sitting (or standing) for long periods of time at a computer; and communicating by telephone and email. The dress code at ILLUME is business casual (“pulled together”). This position requires some travel.
BACKGROUND SCREENING AND DRUG TESTING
Many clients of ILLUME Advising require individuals who will be working with confidential information, visiting client customer homes or businesses, or meeting another contractually required circumstance to pass a background screen and/or drug test. Due to the nature of this position, you will be required to complete and pass a background screening and drug test with appropriate notice. The results of background screening and drug testing are used solely to meet client criteria for working on specific projects.
As a federal contractor, ILLUME requires staff to have been vaccinated against Covid-19 or be willing to receive a vaccine against Covid-19 within 45 days of hire where permitted by applicable law. This is a mandatory requirement with the exception of employees with documented medical reasons and/or exceptions in accordance with the Civil Rights Act.