JOB TITLE: Directing Advisor
STATUS: Exempt 40 hours a week
REPORTS TO: Anne Dougherty, Founding Advisor in Tucson AZ
WORKS UNDER: General Direction
ILLUME Advising, LLC is looking for a Directing Advisor with expertise in the Social Science research methods and theory. The Directing Advisor will be responsible for leading large and complex formative and evaluative research projects on behalf of ILLUME Advising. The Director will draw upon the work and expertise of colleagues including ILLUME’s analytical teams to successfully deliver thoughtful work and expert consulting services to our clients. Projects will be in ILLUME’s core programmatic areas of expertise including marketing, behavioral energy efficiency, demand response, rate reform, and integrated demand side management. Given this high responsibility, the project manager is considered a senior position.
The Directing Advisor is responsible for:
- Project strategy and methodological design related to four key areas of research: customer segmentation and propensity modeling, experimental and quasi-experimental design leveraging large meter and billing datasets, qualitative methods that leverage ethnographic research techniques, sophisticated survey research and analysis approaches such as choice modeling and structural equation modeling techniques.
- Project oversight, direction, and delivery including working with the ILLUME team to ensure project approaches are methodologically sound, creative, and that all deliverables are critically reviewed to ensure they meet ILLUME’s high quality standards and exceed clients’ expectations.
- Direct mentoring of and work with the ILLUME project management and analytical team to deliver formative and evaluative research. The Directing Advisor will also provide direct project level supervision to any number of ILLUME staff based on the project teams’ and company’s needs.
- Providing direct consulting services to clients in the Directing Advisor’s area of expertise including on-on-one client interaction, group meetings and conversation and/or facilitation of larger often complex or politically sensitive stakeholder meetings.
- Sales and business development including leading active (selling) and passive (bidding) business development efforts supporting ILLUME’s short term and long term growth strategy.
- Budget management including but not limited to tracking and monitoring the project budget, delivering the project within budget, managing client expectations, identifying when a scope shift will result in a change in the project financials, and reforecasting budgets as needed.
- Detailed project planning and monitoring including developing initial project plans and timelines accounting for resources and timing, securing internal resources needed to deliver projects, working with the team to coordinate on resource needs across projects, and ensuring that the company is aware of any changes to scope that may impact the project.
- Clear and exceptional written and verbal communication to the executive in charge and across the entire project team. Communications include: weekly projects scrums that cover status updates, weekly priorities, changes and identification of items that need deeper discussion, monthly client reports, etc.
- Ability to “tell the story” and mentor ILLUME staff on how to “tell the story” of research data. The Directing Advisor will work with the analytical team to provide training and support on how to effectively interpret and convey the key take-away’s of various research activities in a way that is actionable and relatable to a general, less technical audience. This includes the ability to provide deliver high quality reports and presentations on findings that include data visualization and other reporting mechanisms.
Master’s degree in the Social or Behavioral Sciences
A PhD in Social or Behavioral Sciences
- At least five years in applied energy research
- Demonstrated ability to deliver exceptional research services on time and on budget
- Exceptional client and stakeholder management
- Direct experience providing consulting services to clients in the energy space or adjacent categories
- Ability to develop research methods and study designs and lead staff in executing against those designs
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating clarity and conciseness
- A clear history of working on multiple tasks/ projects within established timelines
- Tireless attention to detail in all prior experience (professional)
- A history of successful, creative problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize effectively in the face of multiple and shifting priorities, with the ability to switch between complex analytical thinking and attending to mundane tasks without compromising quality or losing one’s focus
- Demonstrated independent decision-making experience with solid judgment
- Comfort in public speaking and public training
- A desire to identify new areas of business and research areas including experience with business development and/or sales and/or writing competitive bids and participating in best and final presentations
- A proclivity for research ingenuity and innovative method design
- A desire to help improve standards and systems to foster a highly cooperative and collaborative working environment across multiple U.S. based offices
- Experience with stakeholder facilitation and management processes
- Staff management and/or mentoring experience
PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN TO CANDIDATES WHO DEMONSTRATE:
- Optimism (ILLUME has a zero tolerance for cynicism)
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Proactive communication and escalation (i.e., the ability to state clearly, concisely and promptly any concerns with data quality, results, and timelines)
- The ability to anticipate realistic timelines (without over- or under-estimating); to set one’s own timelines; and to maintain 100% accountability for working within established timelines, i.e., self-directed
- The ability to collaborate as part of a team, as well as to work independently in quasi-remote settings
- Strong self-management with a team perspective in management time
- Grit (watch this video)
At ILLUME, you can expect to be an important part of building an expanding consultancy that delivers on our core vision. If you’re the kind of person who enjoys working with data and people, and maintaining commitment to personal growth, and exceptional customer service you’ll be in good company at ILLUME.
The Directing Advisor will work in an office setting the majority of the time. This position requires sitting (or standing) for long periods of time at a computer; and communicating by telephone and email. Dress code at ILLUME is business casual (“pulled together”). This position requires travel roughly twice per month.
CULTURE AND COMMITMENT AT ILLUME:
ILLUME invests in its staff as a long-term and mutual investment. At ILLUME, we’re committed to building a valued business and rewarding careers while also maintaining healthy personal lives.
Benefits include healthcare including optional dental and vision, long and short-term disability and a company paid life insurance policy. Additionally, we offer a 401k with a 3% contribution, paid holidays and an average of 4 weeks of vacation/personal time per year. As we grow, so will our comprehensive benefits package as a reward to our team for your commitment to ILLUME.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing samples/report samples from past work to email@example.com.
In the subject line of your email, indicate the following: Last name_First name_Directing_Advisor
Expect that we will carefully review all of your materials. In your cover letter, give us a sense of who you are by being honest, creative, and “yourself”. Please include your location and the ending salary in your two most recent paid positions.
ILLUME will accept applications until the position is filled.
ILLUME does not discriminate in its employment practices with regard to age, ancestry, arrest record, color, conviction record, creed, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, military obligations, national origin, race, sex, or sexual orientation.