JOB TITLE: Energy Data Analyst/Data Scientist
STATUS: Exempt, 40 hours per week
LOCATION: Portland, OR, Tucson, AZ, or Madison, WI
REPORTS TO: Eileen Hannigan, Principal in Madison, WI
WORKS UNDER: General Direction
ILLUME offers forward-thinking consulting to help our clients build successful, cost-effective energy efficiency and renewable programs. We offer research-driven, tactical advising to ensure our clients meet their business, regulatory and ‘public good’ goals. The Energy Data Scientist will support our most data intensive work – cleaning, writing code, structuring databases, analyzing and managing very large data sets with thoughtful and rigorous methods. The Energy Data Scientist will contribute to client deliverables by actively considering clients’ research questions and developing and implementing appropriate methodologies while maintaining a critical eye to sure data integrity. The Energy Data Scientist must bring a balance of analytical and consulting savvy to this role. You’re a great fit for data analytics at ILLUME if you’re highly analytical AND possess a consulting (entrepreneurial) mindset.
1. Under direction of the project manager, support a range of project data needs through activities such as database design, data management, data cleaning, statistical modeling and interpreting results
2. Manage and transform survey, billing history, meter data, secondary demographic or firmographic data, and other relevant data sets
3. Review data for accuracy, anomalies, unexpected patterns and completeness
4. Run basic descriptive statistics and more advanced modeling using statistical software packages
5. Assist in developing deliverables, such as graphic and text-based survey result summaries
6. Participate actively and proactively in ILLUME’s highly collaborative environment
Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study such as statistics, mathematics, sociology, economics, data science or related field.
- 1-3 years of experience in data analytics or data science
- Proficiency with R, Python, SAS or similar statistical software and willingness and ability to learn
- Experience cleaning, managing and transforming data sets, including making decisions about observations to drop or retain
- Tireless attention to detail in all prior experience (academic and professional)
- A history of successful, creative problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize effectively in the face of multiple and shifting priorities, with the ability to switch between complex analytical thinking and attending to mundane tasks without compromising quality or losing one’s focus
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating clarity and conciseness
PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN TO CANDIDATES WHO DEMONSTRATE:
- Optimism (ILLUME has zero tolerance for cynicism)
- Proactive attention to detail and ability to develop approaches to check your own work
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Proactive communication and escalation (i.e., the ability to state clearly, concisely and promptly anyconcerns with data quality, results, and timelines)
- The ability to anticipate realistic timelines (without over- or under-estimating), to set one’s own projecttimelines, and to maintain 100% accountability for working within established timelines, i.e. self-directed
- The ability to collaborate as part of a team, as well as to work independently in quasi-remote settings
- Strong self-management with a team perspective in management of time
- Grit (watch this video)
At ILLUME, you can expect to be an important part of building an expanding consultancy that delivers on our core vision. If you’re the kind of person who enjoys working with data and people, and maintaining commitment to personal growth, you’ll be in good company at ILLUME.
The Analyst will work in an office setting the majority of the time. This position requires sitting (or standing) for long periods of time at a computer; and communicating by telephone and email. Dress code at ILLUME is business casual (“pulled together”). This position requires travel occasionally.
CULTURE AND COMMITMENT AT ILLUME:
ILLUME invests in its staff as a long-term and mutual investment. At ILLUME, we’re committed to building a valued business and rewarding careers while also maintaining healthy personal lives.
Benefits include healthcare, 401k with a 3% contribution, paid holidays and an average of 4 weeks of vacation/personal time per year. As we grow, so will our comprehensive benefits package as a reward to our team for your commitment to ILLUME.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing samples/report samples from past work to email@example.com.
In the subject line of your email, indicate the following:
Last name_First name_ Energy Data Scientist
Expect that we will carefully review all of your materials. In your cover letter, give us a sense of who you are by being honest, creative, and “yourself”. Please include the ending salary in your two most recent paid positions.
If possible, please include a work sample that demonstrates your experience. This could be a paper or report, presentation, or analysis you have completed. Scrubbed data is fine to respect the confidentiality of prior employers.
ILLUME will accept applications until the position is filled.
ILLUME does not discriminate in its employment practices with regard to age, ancestry, arrest record, color, conviction record, creed, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, military obligations, national origin, race, sex, or sexual orientation.