JOB TITLE: Managing Consultant / Sr. Managing Consultant
STATUS: Exempt, 40 hours per week
LOCATION: Madison, WI, Tucson, AZ, or Portland, OR. Remote locations may be considered for the right candidate.
WORKS UNDER: Administrative Direction to General Direction
The Managing Consultant/Sr. Managing Consultant will be responsible for leading ILLUME’s projects end-to-end. Drawing upon the work and expertise of colleagues, as well as their own professional and industry experiences, the Managing Consultant/Sr. Managing Consultant will complete deliverables that provide clients a cohesive story that both informs and presents realistic paths forward. The successful candidate will have industry experience in utilities, policy, energy efficiency, market research, analytics, program evaluation, and/or energy program design and planning.
The Managing Consultant/Sr. Managing Consultant’s responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Project delivery including critically reviewing all deliverables and ensuring they meet ILLUME’s high quality standards and exceed clients’ expectations.
- Critical administrative activities to ensure the health of the project, including: budget tracking and management, invoicing, detailed project planning, staff resourcing, and timeline management.
- Project scoping and management under the direction of the Executive-in-Charge and/or Project Director, proactively identifying scope issues and implications on project financials and managing the risks and communications associated with those changes.
- Active communication with and coordination of the project team, including, but not limited to, communicating expectations, coaching in areas of expertise (e.g., research methodologies, analysis approaches), and providing constructive feedback to improve research and end products.
- Clear and exceptional written and verbal communication to the Executive-in-Charge and across the entire project team. Communications include: weekly project scrums that cover status updates, weekly priorities, identification of items that need deeper discussion, monthly client reports, etc.
- “Telling the story” of research data; working with the analytical team to effectively interpret and convey the key takeaways of various research activities in a way that is actionable and relatable to a general, less technical audience. This includes the ability to deliver high quality reports and presentations on findings.
- Client interactions and relationship building, serving as the primary point of contact for the client, brokering and setting up meetings, providing clear communication on project status, providing updates, and bringing issues or concerns forward along with potential solutions. Ensure client satisfaction with the work and the ILLUME team.
- Identify project expansion opportunities, cultivating client relationships to secure continued or renewed work and supporting the Executive Team in proposal development as needed.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Collaboration is the minimum standard at ILLUME. Team members build trust through regular, open, and honest communication and by working together across the company to ensure the success of every project. By working together, we create the momentum to accomplish our company objectives and attain exceptional results.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study such as statistics, mathematics, sociology (or other applied social science fields), economics, environmental science, psychology, or policy.
Master’s of Arts or Science in relevant area of study such as statistics, mathematics, sociology (or other applied social science fields), economics, environmental science, psychology, or policy.
- Industry experience in utilities, policy, energy efficiency, market research, program evaluation, and/or energy program design and planning
- 4 to 8 years of experience managing research or evaluation projects that include qualitative and quantitative research techniques (knowledge of which may be gained through academic and/or practical work experience). Commensurate experience will be considered
- Experience in survey design for telephone, mail, and internet
- Experience in data analysis and interpretation
- Demonstrated experience with budget management and project planning
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating clarity and conciseness
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- A clear history of working on multiple tasks/projects within established timelines
- Tireless attention to detail in all prior experience (academic and professional)
- A history of successful, creative problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize effectively in the face of multiple and shifting priorities, with the ability to switch between complex analytical thinking and attending to mundane tasks without compromising quality or losing one’s focus
- Demonstrated professional experience in project leadership
- Demonstrated independent decision-making experience with solid judgment
- Presentation skills
- Prior consulting-type experience working autonomously and driving one’s own success
- A history of self-education on issues outside the immediate scope of prior work
The Managing Consultant will work in an office setting the majority of the time. This position requires sitting (or standing) for long periods of time at a computer and communicating by telephone and email. Dress code at ILLUME is business casual (“pulled together”). This position requires some travel.
CULTURE AND COMMITMENT AT ILLUME:
ILLUME invests in its staff as a long-term and mutual investment. At ILLUME, we’re committed to building a valued business and rewarding careers while also maintaining healthy personal lives.
At ILLUME, we create actionable insights out of seemingly unpredictable behavior of people, businesses, and markets using advanced data analytics and tactical consulting. We empower sustainable and resilient communities through illuminating analytics and bold insights.
ILLUME does not discriminate in its employment practices with regard to age, ancestry, arrest record, color, conviction record, creed, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, military obligations, national origin, race, sex, or sexual orientation.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing samples/report samples from past work to email@example.com.
In the subject line of your email, indicate the following:
Last name_First name_ Managing Consultant
Expect that we will carefully review all of your materials. In your cover letter, give us a sense of who you are by being honest, creative, and “yourself”. Please include your desired work location (Madison, WI; Portland, OR; or Tucson, AZ) and your desired salary.
ILLUME will accept applications until the position is filled.