JOB TITLE: People Champion
STATUS: Exempt, 40 hours per week
LOCATION: Madison, WI or Tucson, AZ
CULTURE AND COMMITMENT AT ILLUME
Our Vision: ILLUME is the premier consultancy for advancing, re-envisioning, and equitably transforming the energy industry. We align with clean energy and social justice imperatives and give primacy to human dreams and aspirations so that all can thrive in a clean energy future.
Our Commitment to Team Values: At ILLUME, we value the diverse lived experiences of our team. We view diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) as an on-going commitment and investment in the growth of our employees, the growth of our company culture, and the growth of our industry. By centering environmental justice, climate change mitigation, and social justice in our work, we aim to transform the way the energy industry looks at its challenges. We believe that our collective well-being depends on how well we explore, elevate, and communicate the experiences of all people who use the electric grid. We quantify the impacts of our public investments to reduce energy demand and mitigate climate change.
ILLUME considers our investment in our team as a long-term and mutual investment. At ILLUME, we’re committed to building a valued business while ensuring rewarding careers to our employees. ILLUME does not discriminate in its employment practices with regard to age, ancestry, religion, arrest record, color, conviction record, creed, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, military obligations, national origin, race, sex, or sexual orientation.
The People Champion serves as an integral member of the ILLUME Administrative Team, supporting the ILLUME team and working to help ILLUME live our value of “Taking Good Care.” The People Champion is responsible for ensuring the well-being of our team members, identifying creative ways to keep people engaged and supporting employee wellness at work. This person serves as the champion for our diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives and leads company recruiting, hiring, on-boarding, and orientation processes. In addition, this person supports the development and logistics for internal and external team training and professional development sessions, helps manage employee information and documents, supports the annual performance review process, and helps develop and implement initiatives that bolster team satisfaction.
The People Champion is in a position to be privy to highly confidential information and must be able to act in confidence to the founders and the team at all times. The People Champion will love engaging with their co-workers across the company, be positive and energetic, will be exceptionally well organized, and will have exceptional communication skills.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & KEY RESULTS AREAS (KRAS)
Below we show the range of KRAs for the position.
- Develop and implement programs to support employee wellness.
- Develop and manage and approach to collecting quarterly employee feedback on satisfaction and needs. Provide summaries of findings and recommendations to the Executive Team.
- Develop and coordinate an on-going mentorship program that supports team member growth and professional development.
- Bring “sunshine’ to the company through employee recognition, celebrations, team building initiatives, and in other ways.
- Identify and develop diverse pipelines into the company.
- Ensure equitable internal processes.
- Train or set up trainings on sensitivities related to hiring and work practices.
- Identify mentors and paths to advancement for traditionally underserved candidates
Drive Recruiting, Hiring, and Onboarding
- Lead the recruitment process by identifying and implementing recruitment strategies; identifying and developing a pipeline of candidates; managing intake and initial screening of candidates; coordinating and scheduling interviews with team members; leading meetings to de-brief on interviews with the team and select final candidates; conducting reference checks; and coordinating offer letters and leading the offer process.
- Ensure company hiring and recruitment, internal practices, and policies support all our company goals, including developing systems for ensuring our focus on DEI is realized in all our recruiting and hiring processes.
- Refine and coordinate our onboarding process , providing a supportive orientation process for new staff members. Serve as the company welcome committee and support network to all new team members as they move through the onboarding process.
Team Training and Professional Development
- Develop, coordinate company professional development initiatives.
- Keep training library and content updated and accessible.
- Support staffing and HR strategic initiatives.
- Maintain accurate paper and electronic employee records, in accordance with legal requirements.
- Serve as the HR and benefits resource for staff, keeping up to date with HR and DEI trends, and best practices.
- Coordinate the annual review process.
- Assist with internal and external HR related inquiries.
- Support ad hoc HR activities.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Collaboration is the minimum standard at ILLUME. Team members build trust through regular, open, and honest communication and by working together across the company to ensure the success of every project. By working together, we create the momentum to accomplish our company objectives and together attain exceptional results.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study such as human resources, psychology, social work, business, education, or related field.
- Industry experience or college-level coursework in human resources, personnel management, or another related field
- Knowledge of HR laws and regulations
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating clarity and conciseness
- Experience with benefits, compliance, training, recruiting, and employee communication
- Experience deploying and managing DEI initiatives
- Experience with talent acquisition
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Xcel, Word and PPT
- A clear history of working on multiple tasks/ projects within established timelines
- Tireless attention to detail in all prior experience (academic and professional)
- A history of successful, creative problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize effectively in the face of multiple and shifting priorities
- Demonstrated independent decision-making experience with solid judgment
- Presentation skills
The People Champion will work in an office setting the majority of the time under normal conditions. Due to COVID-19, ILLUME employees will work remotely at their homes (or other, socially distant locations), until it is deemed safe to resume work in office. This position requires sitting (or standing) for long periods of time at a computer; and communicating by telephone and email. Dress code at ILLUME is business casual (“pulled together”). This position requires occasional travel.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample from past work to email@example.com.
In the subject line of your email, indicate the following:
Last name_First name_ People Champion
In your cover letter, provide us with:
- A sense of who you are by being honest, creative, and “yourself”.
- Any experience with DEI in the workplace, and your own professional growth.
- Please include your desired location (Madison, WI or Tucson, AZ).
Expect that we will carefully review all of your materials including your cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
ILLUME will accept applications until the position is filled.