JOB TITLE: Proposal and Production Manager
STATUS: Exempt, 40 hours per week
LOCATION: Madison, WI or Tucson, Arizona
REPORTS TO: Anne Dougherty, Co-Owner in Tucson, AZ
WORKS UNDER: General Direction
The Proposal and Production Manager is a critical part of the ILLUME Business Development team and is responsible for 1) assisting in the overall coordination, pricing, assembly, and review of proposal documentation, and presenting submittal to management for approval and 2) leading the internal production process at ILLUME which includes overseeing the development of collateral, reports, presentations and other public or client facing materials. The individual will be required to interface with ILLUME team members, clients and partners working across the team and often other companies to develop content. The proposal and production manager will ensure all products and deliverables are of the highest quality and standards, that there is an efficient and organized production process in place, that all due dates are met, and that all products meet the needs of internal and external clients.
- Manage the proposal and product development process and timeline, work with managers to develop a schedule of deliverables that is up to date and allows for a timely and orderly product and proposal development process.
- Serve as the supervisor for members of the production team, this may include having up to 3 direct reports.
- Be a guardian of the ILLUME brand and reputation via the development of written content, ensure all products meet the high-quality standards put forth by the ILLUME executive team.
- Support the development of marketing collateral by developing copy and content as directed by the ILLUME executives.
- Review proposals for required inputs; coordinate and manage the team to proposal development timelines; conduct document reviews and interviews as needed to develop proposal content; work closely with authors in their development of basis of estimates, bill of materials, etc. that meet established proposal quality standards.
- Research and analyze historical data and develop cost models to support proposal efforts.
- Coordinate with the capture and/or proposal teams in performing market analysis, competitive supplier evaluation and make/buy selections and the implementation of business strategies.
- Compiles cost, schedule, and technical elements in the development of proposals in accordance with request for proposal (RFP) specifications.
- Support customer fact-finding meetings, audit/pricing evaluation and negotiation of proposals and other duties as assigned.
Must have excellent database and computer skills in MS Project, MS Excel, MS Word and Adobe Acrobat. Experience working on proposal submission websites such as Ariba is a plus.
Required Education& Experience:
- Minimum requirement: Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 3-5 years of related Proposal Analyst/Management experience
- Copywriting and editing experience a plus
- Experience in the energy field a plus
Please submit a portfolio of previous work that highlights your writing skills and attention to detail.
Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate:
- High proficiency in Excel (pivots, vlookups, charts), proposal development, and the capture management process
- Solid presentation skills and the ability to communicate, influence and gain commitment of the technical, program and business development team members
- Optimism (ILLUME has zero tolerance for cynicism)
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Proactive communication (i.e., the ability to state clearly, concisely and promptly any concerns with results and timelines)
- The ability to anticipate realistic timelines (without over- or under-estimating); to set one’s own project timelines; and to maintain 100% accountability for working within established timelines, i.e., self-directed and intrinsically-motivated
- The ability to collaborate as part of a team, as well as to work independently in quasi-remote settings
- Grit (watch this video)
At ILLUME, you can expect to be a key player in an expanding consultancy that delivers on our core vision. If you’re the kind of person who enjoys working with data, information, graphics, and people, while maintaining a commitment to personal growth, you’ll be in good company at ILLUME.
This position requires sitting (or standing) for long periods of time at a computer; and communicating by telephone, video conference, and email. Dress code at ILLUME is business casual (“pulled together.”) This position requires travel to support in-person presentations related to the bidding process.
Culture and Commitment at ILLUME:
ILLUME invests in its staff as a long-term and mutual investment. At ILLUME, we’re committed to building a valued business and rewarding careers while also maintaining healthy personal lives.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and portfolio samples from past work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the subject line of your email, please indicate the following:
Last name_First name_ Proposal_and_Production_Manager
Expect that we will carefully review your materials. In your cover letter, give us a sense of who you are by being honest, creative, and “yourself.” Please include the ending salary of your two most recent paid positions.
ILLUME will accept applications until the position is filled.
ILLUME does not discriminate in its employment practices with regard to age, ancestry, arrest record, color, conviction record, creed, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, military obligations, national origin, race, sex, or sexual orientation.