JOB TITLE: Research Analyst
STATUS: Exempt, 40 hours per week
LOCATION: Madison, WI, Tucson, AZ or Portland, OR – Remote candidates will not be considered.
WORKS UNDER: Intermittent Supervision
The Research Analyst conducts thoughtful and rigorous research and analysis using methodologies such as surveys, statistical modeling, ethnography, and other qualitative and quantitative methods. The Research Analyst works with direction from ILLUME’s leadership team to successfully deliver rigorous analysis and expert consulting services to our clients. The Research Analyst contributes to data collection, data analysis, and reporting to support translating complex research findings into specific and actionable recommendations. The Research Analyst applies sound and appropriate methods to data collection and analysis while maintaining a critical eye to safeguard data integrity and project quality.
The Research Analyst’s responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following. Note that the description is inclusive of most of the activities in which Research Analysts may participate, however some Research Analysts may focus more on qualitative or quantitative research methods.
- Data collection which may include in-depth interviewing, observation, secondary research, surveys including using Qualtrics, querying databases, aggregating data from multiple sources, and finding and accessing third-party datasets, such as U.S. Census data.
- Study design which may include identifying research questions and appropriate methods. Methods may include qualitative or quantitative approaches such as: secondary research, ethnographic methods, survey research, sample design and sample implementation, modeling, or statistical analysis.
- Instrument design for qualitative and quantitative approaches such as: designing survey instruments, programming and testing surveys, and drafting focus group and in-depth interview guides.
- Data analysis may include analysis of survey data; unstructured data from in-depth interviews, focus groups, immersions, ethnographic observations, and open-ended survey data; and billing and meter data. Data analysis starts with applying appropriate and careful data cleaning techniques and includes calculating and interpreting basic statistics (e.g., frequencies, means) and relationships (e.g., correlations, simple models) in quantitative data and summarizing qualitative data and formulating key findings.
- Data quality including reviewing data for accuracy, errors, and completeness, and ensuring accuracy of all reported results.
- Data management including organizing and managing datasets using Excel, statistical software including R, and other data management tools. Datasets may include customer lists, census data, meter data, survey responses, in-depth interview responses, focus group notes, and field research notes.
- “Telling the story” of research data to effectively interpret and convey the key takeaways of various research activities in a way that is actionable and relatable to a general, less technical audience. This can include developing reports in survey or other analytics software, creating graphics to visually display findings, and contributing to high quality written reports and presentations on findings.
- Clear written and verbal communication to the Project Manager while driving work forward independently. Communications include: frequent project updates, weekly priorities, identification of items that need deeper discussion, etc.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Collaboration is the minimum standard at ILLUME. Team members build trust through regular, open, and honest communication and by working together across the company to ensure the success of every project. By working together, we create the momentum to accomplish our company objectives and attain exceptional results.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study such as statistics, mathematics, sociology, economics, environmental science, psychology, or policy.
- Industry or related experience in utilities, policy, energy efficiency, market research, and/or energy program design and planning
- Experience in data analysis and interpretation
- Experience in survey design for telephone, mail, and internet, and/or experience with ethnographic research, focus groups, and open-ended interviewing
- Experience with sample design
- Experience with Qualtrics or other survey software
- Prior experience with data organization, quality control, manipulation, and basic statistics (Stat, R, SPSS, SAS, or other statistical software)
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating clarity and conciseness
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- A clear history of working on multiple tasks/projects within established timelines
- Tireless attention to detail in all prior experience (academic and professional)
- A history of successful, creative problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize effectively in the face of multiple and shifting priorities, with the ability to switch between complex analytical thinking and attending to mundane tasks without compromising quality or losing one’s focus
- Demonstrated independent decision-making experience with solid judgment
- Presentation skills
The Research Analyst will work in an office setting the majority of the time. This position requires sitting (or standing) for long periods of time at a computer and communicating by telephone and email. Dress code at ILLUME is business casual (“pulled together”). This position requires occasional travel.
CULTURE AND COMMITMENT AT ILLUME:
ILLUME invests in its staff as a long-term and mutual investment. At ILLUME, we’re committed to building a valued business and rewarding careers while also maintaining healthy personal lives.
At ILLUME, we create actionable insights out of the seemingly unpredictable behavior of people, businesses, and markets using advanced data analytics and tactical consulting. We empower sustainable and resilient communities through illuminating analytics and bold insights.
ILLUME does not discriminate in its employment practices with regard to age, ancestry, arrest record, color, conviction record, creed, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, military obligations, national origin, race, sex, or sexual orientation.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing samples/report samples from past work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the subject line of your email, indicate the following:
Last name_First name_ Analyst
Expect that we will carefully review all of your materials. In your cover letter, give us a sense of who you are by being honest, creative, and “yourself”. Please include your desired location (Madison, WI or Tucson, AZ) and the ending salary in your two most recent paid positions.
ILLUME will accept applications until the position is filled.