JOB TITLE: Sr. Graphic Designer
STATUS: Exempt, 40 hours per week
LOCATION: Tucson, Arizona
REPORTS TO: Erin LaVoie, Anne Dougherty
WORKS UNDER: General Direction
As the In-House Sr. Graphic Designer, you will work closely with both researchers and the marketing team to bring our reporting to life with clean formatting and polished graphic collateral. You will have the opportunity to work with a wide range of media including infographics, video, slide decks, magazine-style reports, digital animations, and interactive online publications. You will bring a sophisticated eye and a story-teller’s mindset to our team’s data visualizations. With numerous projects and deadlines, you will use strong coordination and communication skills to prioritize across projects and deliver high-quality products on time. The ideal candidate has experience with design software such as InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft Office Suite, and Final Cut Pro but is also willing to tackle new programs and learn new skills. Our designs need to be flexible, so we get creative and create graphics within Microsoft PowerPoint at times.
● Uphold and expand the ILLUME brand through art direction and careful attention to brand and style parameters
● Work with a design team to collaborate and learn from one another
● Manage time and workload expectations to ensure exceptional work products within a demanding and high-paced consulting environment
● Create a visual story and storyline in collaboration with research and technical teams
● Convey a particular message, idea, and/or concept visually by combining art and information for high-impact materials
● Foster an art-forward approach to graphic design
● Pay exceptional attention to detail when translating technical content into visual content
● Think creatively and develop new design concepts, including graphics, document templates, and layouts
● Find the balance between art and information and apply good communication principles to designs
● Learn about the energy industry and best practices in data presentment on an ongoing basis
● Design interactive, visually stunning client presentations
● Manage time efficiently, within budgetary constraints and tight deadlines
● Maintain a client-service mindset in order to iterate as needed to create exceptional work products
● Exhibit flexibility to support teams as needed to ensure high-quality work
● Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Marketing, Business, Communications, Journalism or related field or equivalent professional experience required
● 5-10 years of professional production design experience
● 3+ years of industry experience working within a technical industry (e.g., healthcare, science, research, consulting)
All candidates must have demonstrated proficiency or ability to learn printing processes and should be adept with software applications such as FlightCheck, the Adobe Creative Suite (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
In addition, candidates should be:
● Thoroughly knowledgeable about printing processes and file preparation
● Comfortable programming and/or willing to learn how to program templates in Windows platforms for client deliverables, including: ○ Word
○ Excel (to a lesser extent)
● Comfortable leading creative collaboration across teams using superior communications skills
● Advanced to expert level of competence in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver
● Advanced in HTML and CSS (preferably HTML5 and CSS3), including experience coding HTML emails
● Experienced in testing and troubleshooting HTML emails in email clients and multiple browsers
Please submit a portfolio of your work including multimedia and, creative that demonstrate your design-eye and attention to detail.
Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate:
● Optimism (ILLUME has zero tolerance for cynicism)
● Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced, demanding environment
● Proactive communication (i.e., the ability to state clearly, concisely, and promptly any concerns with results and timelines)
● The ability to anticipate realistic timelines without over- or under-estimating; set project timelines; and maintain accountability for working within established timelines, i.e., self-directed and intrinsically-motivated
● The ability to collaborate as part of a team, as well as to work with team members in various offices across the US
● Grit (watch this video)
At ILLUME, you can expect to be a key player in an expanding consultancy that delivers on our core vision. If you’re the kind of person who enjoys working with data, information, graphics, and people, while maintaining commitment to personal growth, you’ll be in good company at ILLUME.
This position requires sitting (or standing) for long periods of time at a computer and communicating by telephone, video conference, and email. Dress code at ILLUME is business casual (“pulled together”). This position may require occasional travel.
Culture and Commitment at ILLUME:
ILLUME invests in its staff as a long-term and mutual investment. At ILLUME, we’re committed to building a valued business and rewarding careers while also maintaining healthy personal lives.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and portfolio samples from past work to: email@example.com.
In the subject line of your email, please indicate the following:
Last name_First name_ Sr. Graphic Designer
Expect that we will carefully review your materials. In your cover letter, give us a sense of who you are by being honest, creative, and “yourself.” Please include the ending salary of your two most recent paid positions.
ILLUME will accept applications until the position is filled.
ILLUME does not discriminate in its employment practices with regard to age, ancestry, arrest record, color, conviction record, creed, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, military obligations, national origin, race, sex, or sexual orientation.