JOB TITLE: Storyteller and Experience Manager
STATUS: Exempt, 40 hours a week
LOCATION: Tucson, AZ
Culture And Commitment At Illume
Our Vision: ILLUME is the premier consultancy for advancing, re-envisioning, and equitably transforming the energy industry. We align with clean energy and social justice imperatives and give primacy to human dreams and aspirations so that all can thrive in a clean energy future.
Our Commitment to Team Values: At ILLUME, we value the diverse lived experiences of our team. We view diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) as an on-going commitment and investment in the growth of our employees, the growth of our company culture, and the growth of our industry. By centering environmental justice, climate change mitigation, and social justice in our work, we aim to transform the way the energy industry looks at its challenges. We believe that our collective well-being depends on how well we explore, elevate, and communicate the experiences of all people who use the electric grid. We quantify the impacts of our public investments to reduce energy demand and mitigate climate change.
ILLUME considers our investment in our team as a long-term and mutual investment. At ILLUME, we’re committed to building a valued business while ensuring rewarding careers to our employees. ILLUME does not discriminate in its employment practices regarding age, ancestry, arrest record, color, conviction record, creed, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, military obligations, national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation.
As the Storyteller and Experience Manager, you will be responsible for upholding ILLUME’s best-in-class business-to-business marketing to elevate ILLUME’s work and alignment with our brand, Mission, Vision, and Values. You will collaborate closely with Founder, Anne Dougherty to translate ILLUME’s business development and marketing strategy into campaigns, events, PR, and outreach activities. You will ensure that all ILLUME’s efforts to share our story through external marketing are well planned, well executed, and meticulously thought out.
The Storyteller and Experience Manager will be exceptionally well-organized and have clear communication skills, excel at translating technical content into market-ready communications, and will enjoy collaborating with a diverse team of researchers and leaders at ILLUME.
Primary Responsibilities & Key Results Areas (KRAs)
Below we show the range of KRAs for this position.
Storytelling for Sales and Promotional Materials
- Collaborate with ILLUME’s subject matter experts (SMEs) to co-create stories that elevate their work and align with ILLUME’s global brand and business development strategic plan.
- Translate ILLUME’s technical work into multiplatform, multimedia content that resonate with business and public audiences.
- Develop strategies and plans to distribute ILLUME stories across multiple platforms, including but not limited to social media (LinkedIn and Instagram), ILLUME blogs, ILLUME case studies, ILLUME magazine articles, capabilities presentations, and other supporting materials.
- Plan for and create content for ILLUME’s social media platforms on a weekly basis.
- Serve as the creative director of ILLUME’s annual magazine by driving content brainstorming, coordination with SMEs, planning, and integration with ILLUME’s design team.
External Marketing Campaign Strategy and Oversight
- Develop external marketing campaigns that align with ILLUME’s work areas, external industry events, and relevant holidays/observances.
- Create campaign timelines and calendars in coordination with ILLUME’s MBD Consultant.
- Present marketing campaigns and associated creative briefs to Founder Anne Dougherty for feedback and share with the ILLUME Team.
- Work to ensure that the ILLUME Brand, Mission, Vision, and Values are translated into all external communications and uphold best practices in brand management to stay true to ILLUME’s voice.
- Work with the MBD team to meticulously ensure that the ILLUME’s external materials meet ILLUME’s standards for excellence in copy writing, editing, and design.
- Collaboratively identify areas to improve on ILLUME’s brand with the Founders and the MBD Team & help evolve it to keep pace with our growth and the company’s industry.
Collaborate with ILLUME’s Production Team
- Work closely with ILLUME’s production team to develop, refine, and finalize all external marketing collateral, visual assets, and other supporting materials.
- Develop, enhance, or support production systems to ensure the greatest efficiency in process and output.
- Bring enthusiasm and creative collaboration to all engagements with the production team.
Client and Event Engagement and Innovation
- Work closely with the Founder and the SMEs to implement ILLUME’s innovative client engagement forums and event engagements.
- Lead relationship development for ILLUME’s key events, negotiation of sponsorships, and identify creative ways to contribute to the events while enhancing the spirit and quality of the events.
- Drive all event-based marketing, supporting collateral development, booth planning, and other related activities.
Lead Communication & Coordination with External Marketing Partners
- Work with external marketing support for key ILLUME initiatives. Identify scopes of work, drive timelines, and establish budgets that align with ILLUME’s annual plans.
Integrate MBD Activities & Company Operations
- Manage and oversee the marketing and business development budget and brief the Founders on the status of the MBD budget on a bi-monthly basis.
- Actively monitor and use ILLUME’s business development tracking system, HubSpot, to identify areas for further integration and collaboration with ILLUME Team members.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Collaboration is the minimum standard at ILLUME. Team members build trust through regular, open, and honest communication and by working together across the company to ensure the success of every project. By working together, we create the momentum to accomplish our company objectives and together attain exceptional results.
BS in Marketing
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating clarity and conciseness
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and PPT
- A clear history of working on multiple tasks within established timelines
- Tireless attention to detail in all prior experience (academic and professional)
- A history of successful, creative problem-solving
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize effectively in the face of multiple and shifting priorities, with the ability to switch between complex analytical thinking and attending to mundane tasks without compromising quality or losing one’s focus
- Demonstrates independent decision-making experience with solid judgment
- Proactively manages to timelines and budget (hours) when completing work
- Effectively prioritizes initiatives, projects, and tasks
- Demonstrates flexibility when responding to ambiguity, uncertainty, and change
The Storyteller and Experience Manager will work in an office setting most of the time under normal conditions. Due to COVID-19, ILLUME employees will work remotely at their homes (or other, socially distant locations), until it is deemed safe to resume work in office. This position requires sitting (or standing) for long periods of time at a computer; and communicating by telephone and email. Dress code at ILLUME is business casual (“pulled together”). This position might require some travel.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, a writing sample, and examples of past marketing work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the subject line of your email, indicate the following:
Last name_First name_ Storyteller and Experience Manager
In your cover letter, provide us with:
- Your working and communication style.
- Experience working in sensitive and confidential environments.
- A sense of who you are by being honest, creative, and “yourself”.
- Any experience with DEI in the workplace, and your own professional growth.
Expect that we will carefully review all materials including your cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
ILLUME will accept applications until the position is filled.