JOB TITLE: Technical Consultant – Data Science
STATUS: Exempt, 40 hours a week
WORKS UNDER: General Direction
The Technical Consultant – Data Science applies advanced expertise in research and analysis to lead and implement complex research and evaluation projects including customer segmentation and propensity modeling, experimental and quasi-experimental designs leveraging large meter and billing datasets, and sophisticated survey research and analysis approaches such as choice modeling and structural equation modeling techniques. The Technical Consultant – Data Science will support our most data intensive work – cleaning data, writing code, structuring databases, managing and analyzing very large data sets with thoughtful and rigorous methods. The Technical Consultant will contribute to client deliverables by actively considering clients’ research questions and developing and implementing appropriate methodologies while maintaining a critical eye to ensure data integrity. The Technical Consultant must bring a balance of analytical and consulting savvy to this role and have industry experience in utilities, policy, energy efficiency, market research analytics, and/or energy program design and planning.
The Technical Consultant- Data Science responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Planning, advising on, and implementing study methodologies for research projects to address key research questions. Methods may include survey research, AMI and billing data analysis, impact analysis, statistical modeling, machine learning, and secondary research.
- Completing data collection, data cleaning, and data analysis activities with accuracy and rigor. Some examples of data collection include: survey design, billing and AMI data extraction, preparation of public data such as U.S. Census data. Examples of analysis include survey data analysis, statistical modeling, machine learning.
- Safeguarding project and data quality including reviewing data and analysis for accuracy, errors, and completeness, and ensuring accuracy of all reported results in own work and work of other staff on projects.
- “Telling the story” of research data and data visualization; working with the project team to effectively interpret and convey the key take-aways of various research activities in a way that is actionable and relatable to a general, less technical audience. This includes delivering high quality reports and presentations on findings.
- Mentoring of the ILLUME analytical team to deliver formative and evaluative research. The Technical Consultant will collaborate with the project manager to provide direct project-level supervision to the analyst team supporting a project.
- Clear written and verbal communication to the project manager while driving work forward independently. Communications include: frequent project updates, weekly priorities, identification of items that need deeper discussion, etc.
- Identifying project expansion opportunities for the client, cultivating client relationships so as to secure continued or renewals in work and supporting the executive team in the development of proposals as needed.
- Budget management including but not limited to developing methodologically sound project approaches while staying within the project budget.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Collaboration is the minimum standard at ILLUME. Team members build trust through regular, open, and honest communication and by working together across the company to ensure the success of every project. By working together we create the momentum to accomplish our company objectives and together attain exceptional results.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study such as statistics, mathematics, sociology, economics, data science or related field.
Master’s degree in relevant area of study such as statistics, mathematics, sociology, economics, data science or related field.
- Industry experience in utilities, policy, energy efficiency, market research, and/or energy program design and planning
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating clarity and conciseness
- Ability to develop research methods and study designs and lead staff in executing against those designs
- Expertise in R
- Intermediate to advanced expertise with Microsoft Xcel, Word, and PPT
- Tireless attention to detail in all prior experience
- A history of successful, creative problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize effectively in the face of multiple and shifting priorities, with the ability to switch between complex analytical thinking and attending to routine tasks without compromising quality or losing one’s focus
- Presentation skills
- Demonstrated independent decision-making experience with solid judgment
- Expertise in Python, SPSS, SQL or other statistical or programming languages
- Comfort in public speaking and public training
- A desire to help improve standards and systems to foster a highly cooperative and collaborative working environment across multiple U.S. based offices
- A history of self-education on issues outside the immediate scope of prior work
The Technical Consultant will work in an office setting the majority of the time. This position requires sitting (or standing) for long periods of time at a computer; and communicating by telephone and email. Dress code at ILLUME is business casual (“pulled together”). This position requires some travel.
CULTURE AND COMMITMENT AT ILLUME:
ILLUME invests in its staff as a long-term and mutual investment. At ILLUME, we’re committed to building a valued business and rewarding careers while also maintaining healthy personal lives.
At ILLUME we create actionable insights out of the seemingly unpredictable behavior of people, businesses and markets using advanced data analytics and tactical consulting. We empower sustainable and resilient communities through illuminating analytics and bold insights.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and project sample from past work to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the subject line of your email, please indicate the following:
Last name_First name_ Technical Consultant
Expect that we will carefully review your materials. In your cover letter, give us a sense of who you are by being honest, creative, and “yourself.”
ILLUME will accept applications until the position is filled.
ILLUME does not discriminate in its employment practices with regard to age, ancestry, arrest record, color, conviction record, creed, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, military obligations, national origin, race, sex, or sexual orientation.