JOB TITLE: Managing Consultant
STATUS: Exempt, 40 hours per week
LOCATION: Tucson AZ, Madison WI, Portland OR. Remote locations also considered.
REPORTS TO: Laura Schauer, Principal in Madison, WI
WORKS UNDER: Administrative Direction
JOB SUMMARY: The Managing Consultant will lead the execution of project deliverables within the agreed timeline and budget overseeing. Drawing upon the work and expertise of colleagues, the Managing Consultant will complete deliverables that provide clients a cohesive story that both inform and present realistic paths forward. Given this high responsibility, project managers are part of our senior staff.
The Managing Consultant is responsible for:
- Project delivery including critically reviewing all deliverables and ensuring they meet ILLUME’s high-quality standards and exceed clients’ expectations.
- Budget tracking and management including but not limited to tracking and monitoring the project budget, delivering the project within budget, managing client expectations, identifying when a scope shift will result in a change in the project financials, and reforecasting budgets as needed.
- Detailed project planning and monitoring including developing initial project plans and timelines accounting for resources and timing, securing internal resources needed to deliver projects, working with the team to coordinate on resource needs across projects, and ensuring that the company is aware of any changes to scope that may impact the project.
- Clear and exceptional written and verbal communication to the executive in charge and across the entire project team. Communications include: weekly projects scrums that cover status updates, weekly priorities, changes and identification of items that need deeper discussion, monthly client reports, etc.
- Ability to “tell the story” of research data and work with the analytical team to effectively interpret and convey the key take-away’s of various research activities in a way that is actionable and relatable to a general, less technical audience. This includes the ability to deliver high-quality reports and presentations on findings.
- Client interactions and relationship building serving as the primary point of contact for the client, brokering and setting up meetings, providing clear communication on project status, providing updates, and bringing issues or concerns forward along with potential solutions. Ensure client satisfaction with the work and the ILLUME team.
- Sales/project expansion identifying project expansion opportunities for the client, cultivating client relationships so as to secure continued or renewals in work and supporting the executive team in the development of proposals as needed.
REQUIRED EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study such as statistics, mathematics, sociology, economics, environmental science, psychology, or policy
DESIRED EDUCATION: Masters of Arts or Science in relevant area of study such as statistics, mathematics, sociology (or other applied social science fields), economics, environmental science, psychology, or policy
- Experience in the utility, demand-side management, marketing, or other industries is preferred.
- 4 years of experience managing research or evaluation projects that include qualitative and quantitative research techniques (knowledge of which may be gained through academic and/or practical work experience). Commensurate experience will be considered
- Experience in survey design for telephone, mail, and internet
- Experience in data analysis and interpretation
- Demonstrated experience with budget management and project planning
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating clarity and conciseness
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Xcel, Word and PPT
- A clear history of working on multiple tasks/ projects within established timelines
- Tireless attention to detail in all prior experience (academic and professional)
- A history of successful, creative problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize effectively in the face of multiple and shifting priorities, with the ability to switch between complex analytical thinking and attending to mundane tasks without compromising quality or losing one’s focus
- Demonstrated professional experience in project leadership
- Demonstrated independent decision-making experience with solid judgment
- Presentation skills
- Prior consulting-type experience working autonomously and driving one’s own success
- Industry experience in utilities, policy, energy efficiency, and/or energy program design and planning
- A history of self-education on issues outside the immediate scope of prior work
Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate:
- Optimism (ILLUME has a zero tolerance for cynicism)
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Proactive communication and escalation (i.e., the ability to state clearly, concisely and promptly any concerns with data quality, results, and timelines)
- The ability to anticipate realistic timelines (without over- or under-estimating); to set one’s own project timelines; and to maintain 100% accountability for working within established timelines, i.e., self-directed
- The ability to collaborate as part of a team, as well as to work independently in quasi-remote settings
- Strong self-management with a team perspective in management time
- Grit (watch this video)
At ILLUME, you can expect to be an important part of building an expanding consultancy that delivers on our core vision. If you’re the kind of person who enjoys working with data and people, and maintaining a commitment to personal growth, you’ll be in good company at ILLUME.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The Managing Consultant will work in an office setting the majority of the time. This position requires sitting (or standing) for long periods of time at a computer; and communicating by telephone and email. Dress code at ILLUME is business casual (“pulled together”). This position requires travel roughly once per month.
CULTURE AND COMMITMENT AT ILLUME: ILLUME invests in its staff as a long-term and mutual investment. At ILLUME, we’re committed to building a valued business and rewarding careers while also maintaining healthy personal lives.
Benefits include healthcare, 401k with a 3% contribution, paid holidays and an average of 4 weeks of vacation/personal time per year. As we grow, so will our comprehensive benefits package as a reward to our team for your commitment to ILLUME.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing samples/report samples from past work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the subject line of your email, indicate the following:
Last name_First name_Managing Consultant
Expect that we will carefully review all of your materials. In your cover letter, give us a sense of who you are by being honest, creative, and “yourself”. Please include your desired location (Madison WI or Tucson AZ) and the ending salary in your two most recent paid positions.
ILLUME will accept applications until the position is filled.
ILLUME does not discriminate in its employment practices with regard to age, ancestry, arrest record, color, conviction record, creed, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, military obligations, national origin, race, sex, or sexual orientation.